ABOUT THE JOB
The Senior Bioinformatician will join the CRI’s Bioinformatics Core, a team of experienced scientists who act as research partners and collaborators with BSD faculty on biomedical research. We are looking for a candidate with a strong combination of scientific knowledge and programming skills for this hands-on technical role working with a wide range of high-throughput genomics technologies, including the applications of Next Generation Sequencing, spanning pipeline development, optimization, operations, and support.
This role includes developing methodologies and tools, analyzing highly complex data, and working closely with BSD faculty to guide the bioinformatics components of research projects. The Sr. Bioinformatician will engage with the bioinformatics community at large on pipeline development and have opportunities to collaborate with internationally recognized leaders in genomics and biomedical informatics.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Doctoral degree in Bioinformatics, the Biological Sciences, Computer Science, or a related field required.
- Two or more years of experience in the field of bioinformatics required.
- Two or more years of experience programming required, in at least three of the following languages: Python, Java, SQL, XML, Perl, and R.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in analysis pipeline development of high-throughput data required.
- Hands-on experience with Next Generation Sequencing technologies, such as BWA, Novoalign, STAR, GATK, samtools, Picard, and other tools, required.
- Experience and a working understanding of algorithms, data structures, and scientific programming required.
- Experience working on Linux and/or Unix systems required.
- Experience working on High Performance Computing (HPC) infrastructure required.
- Demonstrated experience in the development, optimization, automation, and operations support of analysis pipelines for high-dimensional data including whole-genome, whole- exome, and RNA sequencing data preferred.
- Experience in employing high performance computing to solve parallelizable compute problems preferred.
- Experience providing bioinformatics services or other service roles preferred.
- Experience with project management preferred.
- Experience with genomic datasets such as TCGA, TARGET, CGCI, MMRF, and ICGC preferred.
- Experience with version control, such as git, preferred.
- Experience with both molecular and clinical data preferred.
- Experience mentoring early career bioinformaticians preferred.