We are pleased to announce that the Center for Research Informatics’ REDCap system has achieved security accreditation by the BSD Risk Management Group. This means that REDCap meets the information security requirements defined in our cyber security policies and with the NIST Cyber Security Framework. Visit the BSD ISO website for additional information about the BSD Information Security Program at http://security.bsd.uchicago.edu. To learn about other systems currently undergoing the Security Assessment & Authorization process, please visit http://security.bsd.uchicago.edu/saa_review/. For further questions, please contact the BSD ISO team via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT IS REDCAP?
REDCap is a self-managed, secure, web-based solution that is designed to support data collection strategies for research studies. Its free use is offered by the Center for Research Informatics (CRI). This easy-to-use and intuitive tool provides functionality and features to enable researchers to rapidly develop databases and surveys for collecting and managing research data. Your data is securely kept on BSD servers at the Kenwood Data Center.
The REDCap project was initiated at Vanderbilt University and includes more than 2,000 active institutional partners from CTSAs, GCRCs, RCMI, and other institutions, including the University of Chicago, in a collaborative international consortium. The consortium contributes to the continuing evolution of the tool and provides a valuable sounding board and testing resource for the Vanderbilt team. REDCap is currently in production use or development build status for more than 361,000 projects, with over 461,000 end users in over 108 countries spanning numerous research focus areas across the consortium. Here at the University, we have over 2,200 projects with over 2,600 end users.
WHY USE REDCAP?
REDCap offers the following features:
- Fast. Quick project start-up. Data entry forms and surveys can be implemented without the need for a programmer.
- Easy. Intuitive user interface and workflow, readily available online training materials, and assistance from the CRI all make it easy to get started.
- Fully customizable. You are in control of shaping your database.
- Web-based. Enter data or build your database from anywhere in the world over a secure web connection with authentication and data logging.
- Secure. Backed up offsite nightly and hosted in a secure environment maintained by the CRI.
- Data hosting. No need to worry about security issues regarding third party websites hosting your private data.
- Data import. Import data from Microsoft Excel and Access (csv files).
- Data export. Export data to Excel, SAS, Stata, R, and SPSS.
- Audit trail. Track data manipulation, project changes, imports, and exports by date and user.
- Advanced features. Mid-study modifications, auto-validation, branching logic, and calculated fields.
- Scheduling. Utilize a built-in project calendar and scheduling module for organizing your events and appointments.
- Reports and stats. Online tool allows you to view reports of your data, export your reports, and turn your reports into plots, graphs, and statistics.
- Autonomous user management. Research groups have complete autonomy and control to add new users and set several levels of specific user rights.
- Multi-site access. REDCap can be used by researchers from multiple sites and institutions.
- Survey participant list. Build a list of email contacts, create custom email invitations, and track who responds.
- Anonymous surveys. Keep your participant responses anonymous (default), or if desired, responses from email contacts can be identified.
- Survey PDF. Generate a PDF version of your survey for printing to collect responses offline.
- Mobile app. Available for iOS and Android for offline data collection by the project team.
Note: REDCap is not intended for use with FDA-governed clinical trials. For assistance with FDA-governed clinical trials, please contact email@example.com.
WHERE TO START
REDCap allows users to build and manage online surveys and databases quickly and securely. Users have the freedom to start their projects and begin designing their forms and surveys often within a few short minutes. Start with our training page to help you learn the basics of REDCap via training videos, training manuals, advanced features, quick tips, and FAQs. You can then log in to REDCap with either your BSDAD or UCHAD account and explore the Help&FAQ page for additional help within the application itself. If you need further help at this point, email REDCap Support to set up a working session with the CRI’s REDCap Administrator.
We can help you determine whether REDCap is an appropriate solution for your research data collection needs by providing a brief demo and discussing whether REDCap is a good fit for your project. Please email REDCap Support to set up a consultation session with the CRI’s REDCap Administrator.
ACCOUNTS & PASSWORDS
If you have a BSDAD or UCHAD account, you may log in to REDCap using either one of those accounts. Please select only one account and use that account going forward.
If you do not have either a BSDAD or UCHAD account (this includes collaborators from other institutions), a sponsor with a BSD account may request access for you via this online request form. Our CRI Help Desk will confirm the request with the sponsor and then email your login credentials within 24-48 hours.
There is no self-service password reset utility in REDCap. If you have forgotten your password, please contact one of the following help desks depending on what type of account you use to access REDCap:
BSDAD or UCHAD Accounts:
CBIS Service Desk
CRI Help Desk
ADDING NEW USERS TO A REDCAP PROJECT
To give a new user access to your project, instruct them to first log into REDCap (to register their username), then you can follow these steps:
- Log in to REDCap.
- Click on the “My Projects” tab.
- Click on the project name.
- Click on “User Rights” under “Applications.”
- Enter the username in the “Add new user” box.
- Click on “Add with custom rights.”
- Click boxes to assign rights to the new user.
- Click on “Add user.”
Further questions? Contact the CRI Help Desk at 773-834-8475 or firstname.lastname@example.org.