WHAT IS REDCAP?
REDCap is a self-managed, secure, web-based solution that is designed to support data collection strategies for research studies. Its free use is offered by the Center for Research Informatics (CRI). This easy-to-use and intuitive tool provides functionality and features to enable researchers to rapidly develop databases and surveys for collecting and managing research data. Your data is securely kept on BSD servers at the Kenwood Data Center.
The REDCap project was initiated at Vanderbilt University and includes more than 2,000 active institutional partners from CTSAs, GCRCs, RCMI, and other institutions, including the University of Chicago, in a collaborative international consortium. The consortium contributes to the continuing evolution of the tool and provides a valuable sounding board and testing resource for the Vanderbilt team. REDCap is currently in production use or development build status for more than 582,000 projects, with over 786,000 end users in over 127 countries spanning numerous research focus areas across the consortium. Here at the University, we have over 3,800 projects with over 4,200 end users.
WHY USE REDCAP?
REDCap offers the following features:
- Fast. Quick project start-up. Data entry forms and surveys can be implemented without the need for a programmer.
- Easy. Intuitive user interface and workflow, readily available online training materials, and assistance from the CRI all make it easy to get started.
- Fully customizable. You are in control of shaping your database.
- Web-based. Enter data or build your database from anywhere in the world over a secure web connection with authentication and data logging.
- Secure. Backed up offsite nightly and hosted in a secure environment maintained by the CRI.
- Data hosting. No need to worry about security issues regarding third party websites hosting your private data.
- Data import. Import data from Microsoft Excel and Access (csv files).
- Data export. Export data to Excel, SAS, Stata, R, and SPSS.
- Audit trail. Track data manipulation, project changes, imports, and exports by date and user.
- Advanced features. Mid-study modifications, auto-validation, branching logic, and calculated fields.
- Scheduling. Utilize a built-in project calendar and scheduling module for organizing your events and appointments.
- Reports and stats. Online tool allows you to view reports of your data, export your reports, and turn your reports into plots, graphs, and statistics.
- Autonomous user management. Research groups have complete autonomy and control to add new users and set several levels of specific user rights.
- Multi-site access. REDCap can be used by researchers from multiple sites and institutions.
- Survey participant list. Build a list of email contacts, create custom email invitations, and track who responds.
- Anonymous surveys. Keep your participant responses anonymous (default), or if desired, responses from email contacts can be identified.
- Survey PDF. Generate a PDF version of your survey for printing to collect responses offline.
- Mobile app. Available for iOS and Android for offline data collection by the project team.
Note: REDCap is not intended for use with FDA-governed clinical trials. For assistance with FDA-governed clinical trials, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.