HPC SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
ABOUT THE JOB
This position will work with the Lead HPC Systems Administrator to build and maintain the University of Chicago Biological Sciences Division’s High Performance Computing (HPC) environment, assist life sciences researchers in utilizing the HPC resources, work with stakeholders and research partners to successfully troubleshoot computational applications, handle customer requests, and respond to suggestions for improvements and enhancements from end-users.
The HPC Systems Administrator will provision, configure, and operate computational hardware and analysis software for use by research projects, as well as participate in technical development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, biological sciences, or related field.
- Two or more years work experience in a scientific computing environment.
- Ability to administer GNU/Linux servers.
- Understanding of issues in research computing.
- Ability to program and debug software in C/C++, Java, and/or Fortran.
- Ability to build and install software from source.
- Basic knowledge of computer and network security.
- Desirable: Understanding of HPC scheduling software (e.g. PBS, Moab, or SLURM), parallel filesystems (e.g. GPFS, Lustre), HPC Interconnects (e.g., Infiniband, OmniPath), and/or AI/Deep Learning/Machine Learning.